NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Friday, September 4, 2009

Trauma

Today evening, I was driving home from Uniten. I felt that my car was kinda slow, and couldn't go faster than 60km/h. I stepped on the accelerator pedal harder, and the fastest I could go was 80km/h. When I arrived at the Sg. Besi highway (after travelling for,like, what?20km?) I realized that I forgot to push down the handbrake!

So I released the handbrake. The car was moving at its normal pace. OK, everything was fine. And then...I wanted to enter the Smart Tunnel ramp and I realized that I could not brake! Yes! My brake FAILED. And I was driving on the fast lane!Omg omg omg. I started reciting a few doa and saw my life flashed before my eyes (you know, the kind of feeling that people say you'll get when you're dying).

Luckily I was following the car in front at an acceptable distance, so after a few attempts, I managed to slow down the car. Takut gile OK! I felt like I was in an action movie. A horrible action movie, that is.

So I stopped at the Smart Tunnel ramp, turned on the hazard light and tested my brake a few times before moving again. The brake felt "loose", I don't know how to describe it. But over time, the brake went back to normal again. But I still drove with the hazard light on. So that the other cars won't think I'm such a grandma for driving slow.

Another weird thing that has happened today is, when my parents got back from KLCC this afternoon, they found that the front door of our house was opened! There was no sign of a break in, so it was assumed that we did not lock the door properly and it was raining heavily just now so the wind probably had blown open the door (happened a few times before).My mum panicked coz her cat, Koko was nowhere to be found. Koko had escaped! Fortunately, she found Koko at the neighbour's house. My mum really, really panicked about the whole incident. I think her cat gone missing scares her more than her daughter's near-death experience on the road.

What I can conclude from that incident on the highway was that, no matter how careful you are, danger is all around. I've always been a careful driver. Ask my parents, ask my boyfriend. I'm a very very safe driver. Sometimes I do speed up, but I could control the car very well. And today, I almost got into an accident not because of poor driving skills and whatnot, but because of a little mistake, which was forgetting to release the handbrake. So bear in mind that whatever shit they taught you in driving school (check rear view mirror, check side mirror, check lights, handbrake etc.), these are the little things that you never realized its importance, until something happened to you! So jadi la skema and check all those stuffs before you start driving!

**edited**
I'm proud of the fact that I was still able to drive the car safety back home while in a state of shock.

No comments: