NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Saturday, October 4, 2008

I miss KL

Weight before Raya : 44.8kg
Weight after 4 days of Raya: 45.3kg

If I stay any longer in JB I will turn into a balloon.

And the whole time I'm there, I kept thinking of KLCC and how much fun it would be if I can just go there, now that I'm no longer bankrupt (duit raya...haha).

OK...enough crapping. This is how I celebrated hari raya...

Raya's eve:

Helped my grandmother in the kitchen. It was the last day of fasting, so it had to be the most special buka puasa! Well, according to my grandma la. She invited my two uncles, and one came with his family, and I don't really like them.

I was assigned the most mundane task in the kitchen--petik tauge (snapping the roots off the beansprouts) and I helped mashed some potatoes as well (my grandma wanted to make soto for the first day of raya). I helped a lot with the cooking, but my uncle and his family came just in time for buka puasa (smart move) and all my cousins gobbled up everything at one go! They didn't even help in the kitchen, and when they came, they can simply order me, my mum and my grandma's maid around like we're waitresses in a restaurant! They asked for chilli sauce la, ini la, itu la.

I buka puasa with only a glass of mineral water and some watermelons! Seriously, my cousins are like piranhas! They ate everything, and I only get to eat their leftovers. It was my least special buka puasa, contrary to what my grandma wanted it to be.

There's five of them. The eldest is a girl, in matriculation college. We used to be close as kids, but then she grow up and became stuck up. Then there's three boys, all extremely naughty. And the last one is a girl, 1 year old I think. Also naughty like the brothers. Dah la tak comel. I know in my profile I said I like babies and kids, but there's an exception for very very naughty kids. Geram! Susah nak handle.

Anyway, my grandma cooked A LOT, enough to feed the entire continent of Africa. As if that's not enough, she even told my uncle to buy some murtabak and a lot of other food at bazaar Ramadhan. No wonder all my family members have high blood pressure, this is how their diet is. There's two plates of murtabak on the table, a.k.a two servings of heart attack (a piece of murtabak has approximately 800kCal).

By the way, today was the first time I saw a cow's tongue. It looked exactly like a human's tongue, but 10 times the size. AND my grandma's gonna use it to make the soto. I know that when the tongue is chopped into tiny pieces and then cooked, it will look like a normal meat, but since I already saw how it looked like when it's raw, for a moment I considered turning into a vegetarian. And then I realized that I love Nando's so much that I'm not willing to give up chicken, so I decided not to go vegetarian, but I will not eat the meat in the soto!

At night, went to my late maternal grandmother's house. Gosh I love my maternal family. Got to see my fave cousins. Jaja/Azze/Kak Long is so putih okay! She had just started university. Once you go to university, you'll become fairer right? I used to be dark when I was in school, but once I'm in Uniten, I'm a few shades fairer.

Then, went back to my paternal grandma's house again, and I helped filled in the raya cookies into the jars. This is my task every year.

1st day of raya:

Every year, I would visit relatives houses with my mother's family. It's sooo much fun! We would go to,like, 10 houses in one day. But not this year. On the first day, we only went to two houses.

Anyway, this year is a bit different coz I got duit raya from my cousins! And they're younger than me! But they're already working. So they had to give Kak Nana duit raye! Hehe. It was nice of them. One of them, Afie, worked as a kitchen helper at the hotel at the duty free zone in JB, and he's always working overtime and guess what he already bought with his own hard-earned money? A bike, a PSP and a handphone! Omg, maybe I should give up civil engineering and take up professional chef course!
This is how my kampung looks like...
Muruku and err...what is that called? I don't know. But I can finish the entire jar on my own!
Traditional Malay cookies...(R-L): Semperit, Putu Kacang, Sarang Burung, the last one I dunno what it's called.

2nd raya:We only went to 1 house. Boring. And I got RM1 only.

3rd raya:Kak Long, Lina, Shamier, Afie, Fariz and I went to Tebrau City to watch Kami. Before the movie, I asked them, what the story is all about. And they were like, "Don't tell me you didn't watch the TV show?"
And I was like, "It's a TV show?"
And they were like, "Duh!!!"...Yeah, I get it. I'm OLD. It's a story about some troubled teens btw. Afie, the career guy, paid for our popcorns and drinks. Yipee!!

4th day:Went back to KL. Yay!!! On the way back, stopped by at Muar to visit my grandma's sister.

By the way, some biskut raya that I lurrrve so much: semperit, chocolate marble cookies, my mum's tarts, my mum's chocolate chip cookies.

No comments: