NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Shopping for engagement hantaran

Today I looked at Mr. Y and I can't believe that 5 years ago we went on our first date at the Mines, and now we're already shopping for our engagement hantaran!

I bought the material to make a kebaya that I'll be wearing during the engagement ceremony. Mum told me to buy something that costs approximately RM30 per metre and she also told me to buy the material at Gulati's because of the quality.So off we went to Gulati's (the one near Mydin Mall). Guess what? I couldn't find anything decent for RM30 per metre! I wanted to buy lace with satin lining but lace is so expensive! I didn't know that lace cost THAT much! But lace is beautiful though, especially the tulle lace (beaded lace). I think for my wedding dress, I'm gonna buy the tulle lace so that I won't have to ask the tailor to sew beads (which will incur extra cost). The cheapest tulle lace I could find was RM99 per metre.In the end I settled for a lilac satin and matching lilac beaded chiffon.

This picture doesn't do the beaded chiffon any justice! At the shop, under the lighting and all, the beaded chiffon looked AMAZING and it goes on well with the lilac satin (which will be the lining).

I bought 4m of satin and 2m of chiffon. I wanted to buy 4m of chiffon so that my kebaya will be fully beaded but they only have 2m of the lilac chiffon. So I think only my kebaya top will be covered with beads. Ahh nevermind I can tell the tailor to add some beads to the lower part of kain.

I estimated that I'd spend around RM150 on the materials, but ended up spending RM222 (the satin costs RM16.90 per metre and the chiffon is RM78 per metre). Thank God for credit card!I can't wait to send these fabrics to the tailor and see how it turns out to be!Oh by the way, Mr.Y also bought matching lilac satin. Not sure if he'll make it into a baju Melayu teluk belanga or cekak musang. After shopping at Gulati's, we went to Mydin Mall to buy some of our hantaran. Oh my God, Mydin Mall sells almost EVERYTHING at very low price. I likeee!

Mr. Y bought my telekung.

How I love the pink and purple flowers embroidery!

And prayer mat for me...



I bought a prayer mat for him...



...and blue hardcover Quran for him.


I'm now addicted to hantaran-shopping! Next week I'm going to get his ties and shirt!

No comments: