NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Guess...Have I got a placement for industrial training or not?

This morning I got a call from a company which I have applied for industrial training.

My heart leaped when the person at the end of the line introduced himself. He said his company does not offer internship program, but there's this position available. The position is something like a trainee job. I don't know how to describe it. I had a hard time understanding what the guy said.

The company is currently testing this new software to design beams, slabs etc. My job is to check the efficiency of the software, but using Excel (Only God knows how much I hate Excel!). My heart sank when I heard this, it seems like a huge responsibility. What if I made some mistakes in the calculation? Will the building collapse? Well, actually I don't really understand the job scope! I should recommend that guy to attend Technical Communication classes! His communication skill is very poor.

Anyway, get this---he told me that I can work from home! I will only go to the office once a week, to report the progress. He said the task is simple, I only need a computer. To save cost, he said I can work at home and call the company if I have any questions.

I was so happy when I heard this. Work from home! How fun! I can be my own boss! I can wake up at 11am everyday! It's like holiday, you know. Besides, the company is very near to KLCC. Did I tell you that I'm a shopaholic? Oh, yeah, it's my blog title.

Then I asked him if the company gives any allowance.

The answer is NO.

At that instance, I immediately had this feeling that the company was just trying to use me. They don't have industrial training program, but they want me to help out with their project, with no pay. Is this slave labour or what?

Besides, I think it's weird if I undergo my industrial training at home. If I want to work from home, then better I sell Avon or cupcakes or Herbalife. At least I can get some money. If working at home means checking the accuracy of a software manually using formulas, thanks but no thanks!

So here I am, in February, less than 2 months to go until my industrial training, still jobless.

I'm a loser. Big time.

No comments: