NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Friday, February 6, 2009

London trip

DAY 1

Arrived in London at the Heathrow terminal 3. Took a tube to the bed & breakfast, Whiteleaf Hotel in Hyde Park. The journey to the hotel was full of obstacles. Took a train from the airport, but we had to stop at Earl’s Court station to go on another train. But it was 6am on a Sunday, and the Tube starts operating at 7am on weekends. It was raining and extremely cold. We had to wait in the cold for almost an hour.

Finally, we arrived at Bayswater train station. According to the information on the Internet, Whiteleaf Hotel is only 5 minutes walk from Bayswater station. But it’s our first time, so we had a hard time finding the hotel. We had to brace the cold weather, walking...brrr.

So we arrived at the hotel at around 7.30am. I thought that I could finally wash up and rest on a comfortable bed. NOPE! The previous occupant hadn’t checked out yet. The room won’t be available til 11am! We had to wait for 4 hours!

Fortunately, the hotel staff let us have breakfast. My mum asked whether the food served is halal or not. Apparently, the reception staff was a Pakistani, and his boss was a Pakistani too, and they’re muslims. “It’s a Muslim hotel,” he said. “We serve a simple continental breakfast. All halal. No cooking.”

My parents were grateful that they don’t cook there. According to my dad, if we’re travelling abroard, we can’t eat even the scramble eggs that the hotel serve, coz they might cook it using the same utensils which they used to cook bacon.

So then me and my parents went for breakfast. The guy at the reception counter REALLY mean it when he said “simple breakfast.” They only served toast, jams, butter, Cornflakes,milk and orange juice. And the toast tasted HORRIBLE. Later, I found out that they were using cheap Tesco bread. Seriously I never thought bread could taste that bad. Through my whole live, I’ve never came across a bread that taste awlful. All bread taste good.

Finally, it was 11am, and our room was ready. Just when I was about to shower, I realized that I forgot to bring my toothbrush! I forgot to bring something important like toothbrush, but I brought unneccessary things like my student ID and my car keys! LOL.


View from my hotel balcony

Since we already bought the Tube ticket for all zone, we decided to go somewhere far. So we went to Ealing Broadway. I almost went crazy seeing all the stores there. In Ealing Broadway, Benefit Cosmetics is a STORE, not a counter in a shopping mall!

I bought a travel iron at M&S. So cute!

I've bought this one in white, later I discovered that they have it in pink as well!
And M&S Hair Removal Mitts. For hair-free legs without shaving, waxing or using messy creams. The superfine surface exfoliates your skin gently while smoothing away hairs. If used regularly hair re-growth appears slower and less noticeable. Woohoo! I have an epilator back home, but this thing can remove hair faster!
And err I also bought my toothbrush at a 1pound shop.
10 toothbrushes for only 1 pound only! So cheap!


DAY 2

Went to Kensington, hoping to take some good photos at Kensington Gardens. Unfortunately, all my pics turned out to be ugly. So I deleted quite a number of them.

This swan is a natural camwhore, I tell you! I point my camera at it, and it came neared to me and posed!
Kensington Palace up close

Went to Boots pharmacy. I lurrrve Boots. 10 times better than Watsons . But then, everything in a foreign country is always better than things in your country right? Haha. I bought some Clinique stuffs. Clinique products here are way much cheaper than in Malaysia.
I bought Anti-Blemish Solutions concealer, Anti-Blemish Solutions Post Blemish Formula and Super City Block SPF40 (UK price=RM60ish, Malaysia price=RM100).

Oh, the black tube is the MAX FACTOR 2000 CALORIE MASCARA. I was at this bookstore in Oxford St and I browsed through a book that recommends the best beauty products. I didn’t buy the book, it was expensive, but I memorized some of the items. And this mascara was one of it. I tried the mascara. No kidding, it’s excellent! It gives my lash a dramatic look, love it!

Had lunch at this kebab restaurant near our hotel. I ordered this:
Rice with salad and grilled chicken. Yummy!

They served this appetizer. I don’t know what it is. Some kind of preserved fruit. Didn’t eat it. Afraid that I’ll get stomach upset.
But it’s so colourful!Hehe.

After lunch we went back to our hotel, and my mum was moody coz she’s having fever. The heater in the room didn’t work, so it was very very cold. The thing about bed & breakfasts is that, they always look perfect in pictures, but when you see for yourself, it’s a dissappointment. Things that didn’t work:

-The hairdryer. It can only last for 30 seconds. And then it switched off by itself!

-The hot shower in the toilet. It’s winter and we had to shower with icy cold water!

And many more! Can’t remember.


The hotel. Looks nice. But everytime you book a B&B, always lower your expectations by 50%.
Then went to M&S in Oxford Street, the famous shopping district in London. My mum was looking for lingerie and my dad was looking for new trousers. We shopped around til night and in the end they didn’t even buy anything! It was my turn to be moody. I was so tired.

After that, we took a bus to High Street Kensington . I bought my first eco bag! No, it’s not Anya Hindmarch’s I’m Not A Plastic Bag. It’s a cheap M&S bag.

DAY 3

I told my dad that I couldn’t live in London. My skin was extremely dehydrated. My lips were chapped. My dad said I need to stay longer to get used to the weather.
Went to M&S Oxford Street again. Bought some socks coz my feet were freezing when I sleep at night.

Had lunch at Malaysia Hall. This was what I had:

Rice with asam pedas and salad. I didn’t even want the salad! But the guy was deaf I think, he misheard my order. Can you believe this cost 6pounds??? Crazy! My parents’ meal cost 3pounds only.

DAY 4

Had nasi lemak for breakfast at Malaysia Hall. Coz we’re sick of eating disgusting toast and Cornflakes and diluted orange juice. Gross!
Doesn’t taste that good. The gravy tasted a bit bitter. I think whoever appointed those mamats and makciks who cook at Malaysia Hall had a really bad taste in food. But I guess it doesn’t matter coz the Malaysians there in London, they get hungry all the time, especially during winter, so the best stop for Malaysian food is here.

Went to Oxford Street. Bought some books at Waterstone. Half-price. I’ve already calculated, and I couldn’t get this price in Malaysia. So I bought these.
By that time, I couldn’t wait to go home to Malaysia already as I couldn’t stand my snoring parents. Haha. My mum was getting more and more annoying. She’s still sick, and she complained that her ears hurt. She said, “Pakai tudung pun kuman boleh masuk.” I was like, duh! Viruses fall under the category of MICROorganism.

Since Mum was sick, me and my dad went to High Street Kensington again. I bought some accessories at Claires, lip balm at Superdrug and Dr.Stuart’s teas at Tesco. The teas are so cheap here! Malaysia price=RM20, UK price=RM10!




DAY 5

Last day in London. Mum getting grumpier than ever. She complained that our luggages were too small to fit in all our purchases. I would ask her questions, and then she won’t answer. Whatever.

I bought a Botanics Face Balm at Boots in Bayswater, near the hotel.

Hmm...in London everywhere you go, you smell coffee. I don’t drink coffee, but the it smells good!

Went to Whiteleys, this shopping mall near the hotel. I bought a Little Miss Sunshine keychain, and a headband and bangles at Accessorize. I hinted at my mum that I want this gorgeous butterfly Accessorize bag (I wanted her to sign her Citibank!) but she told me that the bag is ugly (which means that she refused to use her card). So I sulked like a 4-year-old.
And then I spotted this bag at Tie Rack which I really really like. My mum tried to console me by offering to pay for the bag, but I said I don’t want it and pulled a sour face. But after I walked out of Tie Rack, my heart was not at peace, it’s yearning for the bag. I only had 10pounds left, so I decided to refund my Accessorize bangles and headband.

That’s another great thing about UK. If you change your mind, you can return your purchases. In Malaysia, jangan haraplah. “Good s sold are not refundable.” Bummer!

So I returned back the bangles and headband and got my 10 pounds back! I went to Tie Rack happily, and then just when I was about to pay, my mum insisted on using her credit card. So finally I relented and let her pay. Hehe I was so happy I got the Tie Rack bag!

Since my mum paid for the bag, I bought back the Accessorize bangle.Hehe. Didn’t buy the headband back though. I tried it on and it looked like a giant leech on my head.

Accessorize pink Indian bangles


MY PURCHASES DURING MY LONDON TRIP:

Mini size Palmer’s Cocoa Butter. I got the washbag free with a magazine.

M&S stuffs...cute cat socks, Lavender 3-in-1 Body,Room and Linen Spray (I looked for this in Malaysia but it’s not available), and the smallest umbrella ever!!
Little Miss & Mr.Men stuffs. In Malaysia everyone’s wearing Little Miss t-shirts and I want one but I couldn’t find it. I’m glad I went to UK coz I found better things...notebooks, pencilcase and keychain. I grew up with Little Miss & Mr.Men! I read their stories.

Botanics Face Balm & The Blue Tin (you can laugh now Mr.Y)

I'm already looking forward to my next London trip!!!



























No comments: