NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Sunday, February 6, 2011

501 Must-Visit Cities

Today I went to Sunway Pyramid with Mr.Y and I bought this travel book -- 501 Must-Visit Cities. Since I got home from the date in the evening until now (night) I can't put down this book. It's really interesting, with the amazing photos and nicely written text describing each of the cities.

Quoting from the inside leaf of the book, it is "an invaluable source of inspiration for those seeking to explore the great cities of the world, either in reality or from the comfort of an armchair!" Well said.

I went through the list of cities in the index page and found that I've only been to 0.16% of the 501 Must-Visit Cities. How sad.

Here's a list of the must-visit places that I've been through:

1. Amsterdam, Netherlands

I was about 8 years old when I visited Amsterdam and I still can recall how excited I was to discover the Double Decker Keropok Udang in one of the shops there!

2. Auckland, New Zealand

I can't believe Auckland made it to this list. I think it's a boring city. When I was there all I did was go to the same souvenir shops over and over again. If you are a shopaholic like me, don't go to Auckland! The city doesn't offer much in terms of shopping. But I have to admit one thing good about this city -- this is where you can find the best fish & chips in the world! I had dinner at one of the restaurants at the famous Sky Tower and I ordered a delicious fish & chip. The portion of the fish & chips is so large, it can feed 5 people.

3. Brussels, Belgium

I was a small kid when I visited Brussels, can't remember anything about the place :-(

4. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I live here...duh.

5. Kuching, Malaysia

Been here once, and it's not really my favourite place.

6. Liverpool, England

Went to Liverpool when I was 13 and I visited the Beatles museum, and I walked by the Merseyside Maritime Museum...err...that's all I remember.

7. London, England

My favourite city of all time!!! Lost count of how many times I've been here.

8. Los Angeles, USA

Transit at the LAX airport when I was a baby, does that count???

9. Madrid, Spain

Only 1 thing I remember about Madrid: my family lost a baggage at the airport.

10. Manchester, England

A fond memory of Manchester: there was an MU match happening which causes a really bad traffic jam. I was on my way to the Trafford Centre shopping mall and got stuck in the jam for hours that it makes me nauseous. When I arrived at Trafford Centre, I immediately went straight to the toilet and puke my guts out.

11. Mecca, Saudi Arabia

Went to the Holy City to perform umrah twice (aged 10 and 12).

12. Medina, Saudi Arabia

Went to Medina when performing umrah.

13. Melbourne, Australia

Just before my Melbourne trip, I went to the hairdresser and she accidently cut my fringe supershort. I would've had a great time there if it's not because of this mishap.

14. New York City, USA

Been here 3 times: when I was a baby, when I was 8 years old and 11 years old. I don't like New York. Stayed at my aunt's place in Brooklyn and it took 45 minutes to go to Manhattan by train.

15. Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I love Newcastle because of a) the shops and b) the transportation system. It's almost like London. Whatever shops there are in London, you can find it in Newcastle. The places in the city are efficiently connected by train system.

16. Paris, France

Can't remember much about Paris. I went to EuroDisney and I didn't have a great time because I was too chicken to go on the rides. Went up the Eiffel Tower. Visit the churches. That's it.

17. Rome, Italy

Another of my least favourite city. Pickpockets and thieves were EVERYWHERE. Scary. My parents and I had to walk a looong way from the train station to find the hotel and we got lost. It wasn't our choice to stay in Rome. It was only a transit because we were offloaded from the plane or something pathetic like that.

18. Singapore

Err...actually I've never seen the city. I've only transit at Changi Airport :-P

19. Stockholm, Sweden

Went to Stockholm when I've just started dating Mr.Y. I remember he was into geology at that time so I bought him some crystals and gem stones while I was there :-) Stockholm is a beautiful city. They are ahead in terms of environmental protection. Everyday is a no-plastic-bag-day and a lot of people there cycle.

20. Zurich, Switzerland

Went there in the summer but I did manage to play with the snow! Went up the alps (was so excited in the cable car).

2 comments:

nutziee said...

I wanna borrow this book!!

Nana said...

OK nanti I pinjamkan.