NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 14: Fun Friday!

Yesterday Fiza and I had lunch at the cafe at our office. We ordered this kuey teow goreng basah and it was sooo good. However, the portion was very small and we were still hungry after eating it. Today we decided to eat it again. My (brilliant) idea was to order THREE plates of kuey teow goreng, two for each of us, and the other one was meant for sharing (split into two).
Guess what? Today the kuey teow goreng came in big portions. All three plates, big portion. AND it tasted AWLFUL. We couldn't finish it. What a waste.

Today my job was to calculate the fares for these routes:

-Kuala Lumpur to Sydney
-Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne
-Kuala Lumpur to Perth

At first, my colleague taught me how to calculate the fares. Then I did it on my own. After I've finished doing it, I will forward the spreadsheet to him and he will check my calculations. Everytime he's checking my work, I prayed silently "God, please please please don't let there be any mistake." Fyi, in the job I'm doing, you can't afford to be careless and make mistakes. You have to be careful, analytical and has attention to detail. So far, I've never made any mistakes, and this colleague of mine, he will always try to find my fault. Usually, he will make comments that are not related to my work, such as commenting about my e-mailing style. I think he doesn't want me to be pleased with where I'm at and wants me to keep improving myself.

Anyway, after he finished checking my spreadsheet (no mistakes, by the way), I opened the department's e-mail (I'm responsible for handling the department's e-mails). I saw an e-mail from that particular colleague of mine. He sent the e-mail to the travel agent requesting for all those fares to Australia and he cc the e-mail to my personal e-mail, with a note "Thanks Liyana."

He used my spreadsheet and sent it to the travel agent! And he acknowledged my work! I was so proud of myself. This is a historical day in my career. It's the first time I calculated fares AND my fare proposal was being submitted to a travel agent. They are going to pay the amount of money which I have decided. Wow. Big deal.

No comments: