NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Work

I apologize for the lack of updates lately. I know I should be blogging more about my work, especially my first day. I mean, the first of day of my first real job!!! And I didn't blog about it. So now I'm gonna make it up to you by making a summary of my first week.

Monday
Report duty. Had to fill up millions of forms. Then I was assigned to my department. This was the most boring day in my entire life. I happened to bring my laptop and a letter-writing book with me. So the whole day I browsed through my laptop, deleting some old files etc etc. And read the letter-writing book. I read the company's magazines, codes of ethics, some brochures on performance management system bla bla bla. Boooring. Had lunch with another trainee who is in the same batch as me, Kak Ayu. We ate at the cafe which is in the same building as my office. I had rice with asam pedas and chicken. At 5.30pm sharp, I packed up my things and cabut lari balik rumah. Kena perli by one of the staffs, "Awalnye balik." Lucky me, I joined the busiest department in the company. Everyone goes home at 8pm (average time).

Tuesday
First thing in the morning, I asked the lady sitting in the cubicle behind mine, if she has any reading materials. She gave me some notes that she got during her training in the company. So I read all the presentation slides on management, pricing, forecasting, demand etc etc. And on this day, I had my first task. The most common task to newcomers at any workplace--filing! I was given a high stack of papers, and I had to sort them out according to the reference numbers. FYI, the numbers range reached up to 3000 plus! When I finished sorting my first batch of papers, I was given the next stack and I worked past office hour (until around 6.30pm, since yesterday I kena perli balik awal). Had lunch with another trainee in my department. She joined the company in December 2009. She introduced me to her friends. We ate at a cafe across the road. I had rice with fried fish fillet, lauk lemak and stir-fried vegetables. I didn't like it. Still haven't got my ID. Had to walk around wearing this ugly, yellow visitor's pass. I felt like I didn't belong. Another hassle I have to go through is surrending my driving license every morning and returning them when I go home to get the visitor's pass. This was my unlucky day. At 6.30pm, there was a heavy downpour and there was an accident. It took me 1 hour 30 minutes to arrive home due to the jam. I followed the NPE highway.

Wednesday
Still doing filing. By the end of the office hour, I felt that if I have to look at any more numbers, I'd scream. I used the NKVE highway to go home this time. Took me 45 minutes to arrive home. Still having lunch with the same group of people, at the same place. I ate chicken rice. Not bad. But I spilled the soy sauce on my purse when I was about to pay. What a klutz. And...I got my ID and staff number!!! When the general manager's secretary gave me my completed security application form, I was ecstatic. I crossed the bridge to go to the security office across the road. My picture was taken there and then, and I didn't bring my makeup bag and comb with me. My picture was awful. When one of my colleagues saw my ID, she said "Laa...sikat la rambut!" I used the NKVE highway to go home. More peace of mind.

My messy hair. My face had to be censored because it looks even worse than my hair. Haha.

Thursday

Took time off in the morning. Went to EPF to create an account. I went through all the jam and when I arrived at EPF, I realized that I forgot my IC. Had to go home, went through all the jam again, to get my IC. Arrived at the office, I had to do filing again. But this time, I didn't have to sort according to reference numbers, only by dates. A colleague gave me a reference manual on how to use Sita, a computing system for flight reservation or something. It's like C programming, with all the coding and whatnot. Since I already had my staff number and e-mail address, I could access the department's e-mail. My job was to print e-mails. The e-mails are from travel agents and tour groups, and I had to sort them according to the destinations. E-mails requesting for tour codes and bookings that have been confirmed go to one of the exec, and bookings that are on waiting list will have to be forwarded to the managers. This might sound simple but it's confusing to me. I had a hard time remembering who's in charge of which region. Had lunch with at the same cafe, but this time I order kampung fried rice. Still using NKVE to go home.


Friday

Still sorting out e-mails. I memorized airport and city codes. Had lunch at McDonalds Skypark with an ex-schoolmate at SAB, Afizah, who is also working in the same company, but different division. A regular double cheeseburger McValue meal cost me RM8 only. I got discount when I show my ID. I have no work but I felt guilty about going back at 5.30pm sharp. So I lingered around for a few minutes, printing more e-mails. One of the staff told me not to work too hard coz it scares her and she told me to go home. So I'm still clueless, should I go home early or late? I'll never know!

No comments: