NEWSFLASH

Oversharing with the Internet since 2007

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Having a HR officer as your mother

Imagine having a human resource exec as your mother.

You'll think it will be great, isn't it?

She'll give you tips and pointers on how to succeed at an interview, she proof-read your resumes and cover letters. My mother used to work in HR. People are always telling me how lucky I am, at least my cover letters and resumes are excellent. And I have all the knowledge about interviews.

But to be honest with you, it SUCKS.

Why?

Because she expects highly of me, and she expects that I get through all my job interviews.
My mother might be the expert in hiring people. She may be good at hiring the best performers. She can tell the difference between a good candidate and an outstanding one. "Worst" of all, she has great communication skills.

But I'm not her!

My mum is now a full time housewife. I know she feels bored with her life, and she still wants to prove that she's good at something. But sometimes, like after I messed up an interview, she'll say things like, "If I was there in that room instead of you, I'm sure I would have passed the interview." IT HURTS. And sometimes she would help me call the companies to enquire things about internship, and the people on the other line would compliment the way she communicates (people thought she's a representative from a university or something). I don't need to hear all thoughs things, all those braggings. It makes me feel down, hopeless. BIG TIME LOSER.

I can communicate with people well. Those who've met me would say that I'm superfriendly. People loves my makcikness. My enthusiasm. But I'm not good at "formal" communication, if you know what I mean. Like, at job interviews and dealing with companies HR people. I'm not used to that.

I'm not like my mother. Our education backgrounds are different. She knows everything about office stuffs. My education doesn't teach me that. Actually, I kind of regret taking civil engineering. It's too challenging, sometimes I feel like I cannot take it anymore. Give up, just like that.

No comments: